Meditation is a key factor in mindful wellbeing. Taking some time to meditate can help you ground yourself and cultivate a sense of calm. The good news is meditation doesn’t have to be tricky. Here are some tips for meditating to reduce stress:
- Spend a sufficient amount of time meditating. Unfortunately, two or three minutes isn’t enough time to bring your mind into a relaxed state. Try for at least 10 minutes.
- Breathe deeply and focus only on your breath. It may help for you to visualize something such as a waterfall or candle if you find your mind wandering.
- Be comfortable, but don’t be in a setting that’s too comfortable. You want to feel relaxed but you don’t want to fall asleep.
- Eliminate external distractions like television or the phone. Let family members know you need a few minutes alone and go into a different room of the house.
- Meditate regularly. Commit yourself to improving your own wellbeing and set up a regular meditation practice that will realistically work for your life.